The 14 Words

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

The End of our Country started with the docking of S.S. Windrush in 1948 and has continued at an ever accelerating rate ever since

Romanian Big Issue seller called the 'benefits teacher' is urging families to follow her to Britain

Living as a Romanian immigrant in the UK, Big Issue seller Firuta Vasile sparked outrage when she won the legal right to claim more than £28,000 in benefits.

Now the 29-year-old mother of four has become such an expert at claiming state handouts that she is helping her friends in Romania apply.

Yesterday it emerged that Miss Vasile – dubbed ‘the benefits teacher’ by her friends – is encouraging some of her former neighbours to move to the UK.

Her best friend Nadia Porojan, 29, spoke of her desire to follow in her footsteps.

Mrs Porojan travelled to England in 2012 when she was pregnant so that she could give birth to her third child Shakira in an NHS hospital that August.

Proudly clutching her daughter’s birth certificate, she said: 
‘Firuta told me it would be better to give birth in the UK rather than Romania as it would be easier to claim benefits in the future.
‘When I first went to England I went to ask for benefits. Firuta told me than that in about a year or so everyone can apply for them.
‘And she was the one who could help me and was the one who put in a kind word in the right place. She is helping so many people as she is richer than many others.
‘She knew everything there. She is my benefits teacher. She knew where to go and how to ask for benefits for the children and for the house or for other needs. 'If I had 500 lei (£100) for a bus ticket I would go to the UK right after New Year’s Eve. But I don’t have the money yet, so I’m saving up. 
'Sometimes Firuta sends me money and if she does it again soon I can start living my new life in England with the benefits money.’
Mrs Porojan lives with her husband Marian, 30, and their three children in a rural Roma community in the outskirts of Fetesti, a city in the south-east of the country.

She receives £8 a month through child support benefit in Romania. Her husband earns a small amount of money by selling scrap metal. They also receive the regular payments from Miss Vasile, who sends part of her UK benefits payments to them.

After giving birth to her daughter [who will be classed as a British subject] in Manchester in August 2012, Mrs Porojan wandered the streets begging for money, using her newborn baby in a bid to garner sympathy. 

Having left her husband, son Alexe, three, and daughter Denisa, six, behind in Fetesti, Mrs Porojan lived on state handouts with other Romanian migrants in Oldham. However she returned to Romania when her mother-in-law Angela became ill.

This time she wants to take her entire family with her to live in Oldham.

Mrs Porojan said: 
‘I want to go back to the UK to get the benefits for my children. The British system is helping poor people. I have nothing here.'


1 comment:

  1. What a pity it wasn't the SS that came here, welcomed by millions as a liberation from Churchill and the Jews. Never mimd the SS Windrush, give me the SS anyday.

    Kossack
    1833

    ReplyDelete